Monday, April 10, 2017

Suspension Part 2

Grabbed another hour today, so I thought I'd finish off stripping down the struts.

The complete unit, ready for battle:


Attach some of my least favourite tools; the spring compressors.  Tighten until you can rotate the top mount easily - that means the springs won't come flying off when you remove the top mount:


Remove the topmounts - very straightforward, just one nut holds them to the top of the strut:


Then the springs can come off, and you get the joy of taking the spring compressors off.  Which takes ages when you're using hand tools:


Huzzah!  Getting somewhere now.  Lets a look what's left - the top of the strut with a big (2" or so) hex nut:


I had to buy a special tool for this:


That came off nice and easy for both shocks, which is great as I thought it was going to be a total pain.

Liberate the cartridges:


Oh - something appears to be amiss.  The passenger side cartridge seems to be completely devoid of fluid.  So probably a good job I'm replacing them!


And done!  All ready the new inserts and springs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment