Sunday, April 9, 2017

Suspension Part 1

I was never that happy with the height of the 280Z, especially the rear end.  I'm still waiting for more parts to arrive (bumpers, seat covers, steering wheel etc), so I thought I may as well use the opportunity to swap the suspension.

I ordered some replacement shocks and lowering springs that should bring it down about 1".  After doing some reading online, it looked like the rears were going to be the most problematic.  I had a full day to tackle them, so time to get cracking!

Firstly a huge acknowledgement - http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension/rearstruts/index.html is probably the most thorough guide I found online that documents removing the strut / hub unit without having to remove the transverse link spindle pin.  I initially started down that path, then really didn't fancy trying to pull a foot long bolt out.

So, wheels off:


And done!

 

Ahhhh, if only it was that simple.  I ended up removing a fair amount of stuff; the ARB topmount, handbrake connector, both control arm bush mounts, the half shaft....


Overall the job wasn't too bad.  All the bolts were tight, but came off with some persuasion with a breaker bar.  Nothing rounded, nothing sheared.  It was exactly the opposite of working on my old MX5.

And the two struts removed:


The new gas struts and springs arrive on Tuesday, so I'll hopefully get them all fitted this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment