Saturday, May 6, 2017

Seats and Bumper

The bumpers finally arrived, about 7 weeks after ordering them.  The company only sent one set of mounting hardware, but whatever.  I'm never using them again.

The initial fitment was terrible - one side looked like this:


The other like this, with a nice 2" gap:


On the rear of the front bumper, there's a bracket to mount it with:


There was no way I could physically get my fingers behind that.  Frustrated, I left and decided to head back another day, and sent some emails to the supplier.  They didn't respond, cementing their place in the "never use again" bin.

Today, I figured I'd have another go at the front bumper.  It felt pretty flexible.  With some cable ties holding it in place and slowly pulling it into position, I was able to get both ends tight against the car:


Much better, although not exactly the flush fit I was hoping for:


During the last couple of weeks, I've also recovered the seats.

Take one seat, undo all the bolts:


Strip off the old upholstery and try not to breathe anything in:


Put the new one on and secure in place:


Do the base:


Repeat for the other side:


Much better.  They're back in the car now, but I don't have a picture of that.

The final thing I'm waiting for is a new steering wheel.  The hub arrived today, so I decided to tackle removing the old wheel.  In my MX5, that took about 3 hours of constant pulling, pushing, levering.

In the 280Z, I rattled the bolt off, gave the wheel a tug and...


That's the new NRG hub with a Momo bolt pattern, just waiting for the new wheel.  You can also see the new Joyfast knob fitted in this picture, and some of the seats!




No comments:

Post a Comment